19 April 2010

stuffed peppers

This past weekend Dan and I made an old classic from my childhood - stuffed green peppers. I forgot how much I enjoyed these. They're deceivingly filling (I could only eat one!) The recipe below makes 6, and could easily feed a whole family. Here's what you'll need:

  • 6 medium Green peppers
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 2 tablespoon oil
  • 1/2 cup each chopped celery & onion
  • 2 cups hot cooked rice (brown or white)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Jarlsberg cheese
  • 1 (16 oz.) can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon basil, crushed
  • 1 (16 oz.) can tomato sauce (I use a bigger can, maybe 28 oz.?)

Remove the tops & seeds from peppers.  Then parboil for 5 minutes & drain (be careful you don’t tear the peppers.)

In a deep skillet, brown the beef in oil and stir to break into bits (and be sure to drain the grease.)  Add in the celery and onion and cook until tender.  Blend in rice when it's finished, add 1 cup of the cheese, the diced tomatoes, salt, pepper and basil.  Spoon this mixture into the peppers - try not to tip them.

Place cut side up in baking dish.  Spoon the tomato sauce around and over peppers.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes covered. 

Uncover, sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is melted. And that's it. They make for a pretty great all-in-one meal, and they're great the next day as well.

As a side note to all you vegetarians out there, if you take out the ground beef, this could be another option for you.

Bon chappétit!

7 comments:

  1. did you make any porcupine balls?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...um, no? Are those like monkey balls?

    ReplyDelete
  3. no, it's a stuffed pepper but not in the pepper. every family made those along side of the stuffed peppers for the non-pepper fan in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making these tonight. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome - let me know how they turn out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there any way to make stuffed peppers without rice? My husband will not eat rice but I really miss stuffed peppers. Thanks, peggyms

    ReplyDelete
  7. I consulted with my mom, because this is her recipe (and I talk to her constantly anyways!), and here's what she suggested:

    Maybe barley or some other very small pasta.  That’s what I put in my vegetable soup because I like a noodle but dad doesn’t.

    ReplyDelete