07 April 2010

asian salmon (updated)

Here's another one that's so easy it's insane. I got this one from my mom. It's a simply amazing way to make salmon. I've made it for a few people now, and everyone always raves (and it's a definite go-to for Dan and I when we're looking for a classic Sunday dish). Here's what you'll need:

  • 4 skinless salmon fillets
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
  • 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup*
  • 2 green onions, chopped

Place the salmon in a pie plate or shallow dish. Combine remaining ingredients and mix well.

Note: If you haven't figured it out by now, all measurements are usually approximate. The ones above are what my mom passed down; however, I tend to go overboard and almost double everything. No harm, no foul.

Pour marinade over salmon; let stand at least 15-20 min. Heat a ridged grill pan over medium heat until hot. If you don't have a grill pan, a regular sauté pan (or better yet, and actual grill) will totally suffice. Add the salmon, discarding marinade; cook 3-4 minutes per side or until salmon is opaque and firm to the touch.

A trick my old roommate taught me was to always by the salmon with the skin on. Cook the first few minutes with the skin up. This way, when you flip it over, if you burn the fish at all it's totally OK, because you just burn the skin and not the meat. It never fails, trust me.

*So a couple people have now asked if I use regular maple syrup (ala Aunt Jemima) or more expensive versions.  I don't believe I've ever used a low-end syrup.  Last time I used syrup that a previous co-worker had brought back as a gift from Vermont (hey Linds!) and I found that to be the best yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment