12 April 2010

maple-glazed tuna steak (updated)

So this is a new dish I just tried this weekend and it's FANTASTIC! Better even, it took 20 minutes from start to finish. It's a simple seared tuna steak, that I paired with a pear & potato salad recipe. Here's what you'll need:

  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup (you really should use real syrup for this...it's worth it)
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 6-ounce tuna fillets
  • Salt and black pepper
  • Cilantro sprigs

Begin by mixing together the mustard, maple syrup, lime juice, and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, then set aside (taste it first though, it'll get you totally excited for the dish.) Next, season the tuna on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a non-stick skillet over high heat. Add the tuna and cook for 30 seconds on each side. I know this doesn't seem like much, but you're only searing the tuna. The middle will indeed be pretty raw, but the taste and the play on hot and cold will pay off. Trust me.

Remove the tuna from the pan and brush both sides of the tuna with the maple-mustard glaze. Garnish with the cilantro and that's it. I know I myself often skip the garnish, as I think it's just for show. However, the cilantro really adds a nice dimension to the dish.

Again, I can't stress how awesome this was. I made a single tuna steak with this, but you'd definitely have enough of the mixture for 3-4 fillets. Bon chappétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment