05 April 2010

pasta salad

This is an old favorite that takes me back to the old days of childhood summer picnics. It's not exactly how my mom used to make it, but I really dig how it came out. Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 lb cherry (or grape) tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 basil leaves, torn into pieces
  • 1/2 lb bufala mozzarella (the ball in the water)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 lb conchiglie or other short pasta
  • 1 cup kalamata olives
  • 1 tblspoon capers
  • Red pepper flakes
  • 1 or 2 cans of tuna in oil, depending on how much you like tuna (some people like anchovies in their pasta salad, but I just can't bring myself to try them)
Cut the tomatoes in half and toss into a bowl with the torn basil leaves and olive oil. Set aside at room temperature, allowing the flavors to blend while preparing the other ingredients. Next, cut the mozzarella into 3/4" cubes and set aside as well (though not in the tomato bowl). Try not to eat it all while it's chillin' over there - I found this to be my greatest challenge during this dish.

Boil the pasta per box directions. Just before pasta is done, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and few grinds of black pepper to the tomatoes. When pasta is done, drain and transfer to serving bowl. Put the tomato mixture in with pasta. Add the capers, olives, tuna (drained) and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Let pasta cool, about 5 minutes, then stir in the mozzarella. Pasta should be cool enough so that cheese does not melt. And just like that, you're done.

This works perfectly well as a all-in-one meal, or as a side dish. And like so many great concoctions, it's increasingly better the next day.

2 comments:

  1. i'm not a big fan of tuna. what can i substitute or can i just leave it out? thanks cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said above, some people like to include anchovies in their salads, but I have yet to muster the courage to try it. I've also known people to substitute with tofu, however I'm not a tofu kinda guy. I've tried chicken before, but I didn't turn out so great. Ultimately, you don't really need a protein. There's plenty of flavor in there as it is :)

    ReplyDelete