13 April 2010

italian biscotti (updated)

Just like lasagna, biscotti recipes tend to vary wildly from family to family. Below is (you guessed it) my mom's recipe. They're a little softer than a lot of varieties. Here's what you'll need:

  • 12 eggs
  • 3 cups of sugar
  • 2-1/2 cups of oil
  • 8 cups of flour
  • 3 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 oz. anise extract

Add all of the dry ingredients together except for the sugar and set aside. Then beat the eggs with an electric mixer until light & fluffy. Add the sugar, oil & extract and continue beating. Next, add the flour with baking powder until well mixed. Divide into 2 (1”) ungreased cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 min (although I usually do almost 20 min.) Test with your finger to tell when they're done - if the dough springs right back up, it's done. Take them out of oven and let cool for about 5 min. Slice down, usually to about 1/2"x2", but really, slice 'em however you feel like. Put them back on a cookie sheet. Return to oven under boiler to toast. They brown fast so be alert!

***So a few people now have brought to my attention that I often neglect quantities. Most dinners I post are made for either myself or two people.  They could probably feed 3-4 people with more modest appetites than my own.

With that said, I checked with Momma Chappel, and the above biscotti recipe makes about 10 dozen :)

Bon chappétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment