21 April 2010

bread pudding

So, I'll open by admitting that I really don't understand bread pudding. I've seen it on dessert menus, but it seems like a breakfast dish to me. Furthermore, I really don't know why I ever tried it in the first place. I suppose I just had these ingredients around and decided...why not? Here's what you'll need:

  • 6 slices of day-old bread (I love this with the wheat bread that has honey and molasses in the ingredients OR those flavored cinnamon raisin breads...but any bread will do)
  • 2 cups milk
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Break bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle the melted butter (or margarine, I say butter, but I actually always use margarine) over the bread. If desired - and you should, because they make the dish - sprinkle with raisins.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed the pour over the bread. Lightly push down with a fork until the bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped. This is awesome when hot, awesome the next morning cold. Just all-around awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment