03 June 2010

mexican baked chicken

I'm noticing a trend with my chicken recipes of late - I seem to REALLY be into stuffing chicken.  Or rolling it around vegetables.  Odd, right? Maybe not, because they all seem to be delicious.  Anyways, last night I tried a "Mexican" (I put that in quotes, in case it's not really very Mexican) chicken, and again, I loved it.  Here's what you'll need:

  • Chicken breasts
  • 2 cups Panko breading
  • 1 package taco seasoning (I like Old El Paso's)
  • Chopped peppers (I used red, green and yellow)
  • Chopped mushrooms
  • Cheddar cheese
  • Salsa (I recommend medium-hot)

Start by cutting a nice slit into the chicken breast. You can also just completely butterfly it if you find that easier. Stuff inside a healthy dose of the peppers, mushrooms, cheddar and salsa. Close the chicken breast back up and secure with some toothpicks.

Next, combine the breadcrumbs and taco seasoning in a shallow dish. Evenly coat your chicken breast with the breading, patting it down to really make it stick.

Bake in a greased baking dish covered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Uncover and bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until the juices run clear.  Lastly, top with some additional cheddar, and bake for just a couple final minutes to let this melt.

This was a seriously awesome dish.  I ended up serving it with additional salsa on the side and some yellow rice, along with the leftover peppers.  Definitely a spicy change of pace for summer.

Bon chappétit!

2 comments:

  1. i have all the ingredients for this... i think i found dinner tonight or this weekend! looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tried it. it was so yummy and juicy! thanks!

    ReplyDelete