06 April 2010

eggplant parmesan and/or lasagna

So, I'm going to be a bad Italian for a moment and admit that I'm not sure what this dish should be called.  I make two variations of it, and I like them both so much that I could actually care less what the proper name is.  Here's what you'll need:

  • 1 eggplant
  • A couple eggs (2-3 maybe? Idk.)
  • Italian style bread crumbs
  • Lots of olive oil
  • Pasta of your choice (I dig Angel Hair)
  • Cheese (I use mozzarella, which I'm aware negates the "parmesan" in the title, so feel free to use parm if that suits your fancy)

Start by heating up a good amount of oil in a decent size pan (you need enough to cover the eggplant slices.  Slice up the eggplant horizontally so that you get circular slices.  I usually like to get them around 1/8-1/4" thick.  Don't go too thick, or they won't fry properly.  Beat the eggs in a small bowl, and pour some bread crumbs out onto a plate.  Dip each slice of eggplant completely into the egg, then coat with the bread crumbs.  Plop them in the hot oil, flipping every few minutes until done.  When done, place them on a place over a paper towel (to absorb excess grease).

While that's going on, heat up some of your favorite pasta sauce (I usually like a tomato basil with a lot of added pepper).  When the pasta's done, drain and plate.  Add some eggplant slices on top, with some sauce on top of that.  Finish with the cheese of your choice and let melt for a few minutes.  Done.

The other variation to this is to go for an eggplant lasagna.  All I do here is take a 9x9" baking dish, and alternate layers of eggplant, cheese and sauce until I run out.  Then I cover and bake for awhile on 350 degrees (say 30 minutes) and then another 10-15 minutes uncovered.  I serve this on top of pasta with a little extra sauce.  It's also amazing the day after.

No comments:

Post a Comment