08 April 2010

banana pancakes

I'm up early and dreaming of breakfast, so leads go in that direction for a change, shall we? I'm a big fan of bananas. I always keep them around, eat one pretty much every morning. However, they tend to go brown pretty quickly (seems like even quicker in the city - why is that??) Once they reach their inevitable brownness, I love to sit them aside for the weekend and turn them into banana pancakes (...or muffins, or bread, but those are posts for another time.) Here's what you'll need:

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter melted
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed

Combine the flour, white sugar, baking powder and salt in one bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the egg, milk, melted butter and mashed bananas.

Stir flour mixture into banana mixture, leaving the batter slightly lumpy.

Heat a lightly oiled (I use more butter) pan over medium high heat. My mom taught me growing up that you know the pan is ready if you drop a single droplet of water onto the pan and it sizzles.

Pour the batter onto the pan, using a healthy spoonful for each (probably about 1/4 cup for each pancake.) Cook until pancakes are golden brown on both sides and serve.  This seems to make a wildly different number of actual pancakes every time I make it, but I'd say it turns out about a dozen or so.

I tend to like these topped with more fruit, as opposed to the traditional maple syrup. And like so many other meals I seem to gravitate to, these are awesome cold the next day. I really dig them as a snack.

3 comments:

  1. i might have to make this one and review it on my blog... i'll be hard on your recipe, not my skillz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. by all means, bring it. we could start some sort of new age-y gang wars with our rival blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BRING IT (waves spatula)

    ReplyDelete