24 June 2010

salmon w/ blueberry dijon sauce

I love when you come across a dish that combines two (or more) things you'd never expect to go well together. Awhile back, you could've told me that salmon and dijon mustard went well together, and I'd have called you crazy. However, if you've been following the blog, you'll see I've come to love it. Well my newfound friend over at Inexpensive Eating had one that pushed me one step further, one that looked too good to pass up: dijon mustard AND blueberries! Yes, it's amazing. Here's what you'll need:

  • Salmon filets
  • 1 small shallot, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
  • Splash of red wine
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Begin by preheating your oven to 400 degrees. I baked my salmon for 15 minutes covered, 5 uncovered. You could also grill it, should you be so lucky to have a grill to utilize (I don't - boo!)

Meanwhile, start your sauce by sautéing the shallots in the olive oil in a medium non-stick pan over medium heat for just a minute or two. Then, add in the blueberries and continue sautéing for a few more minutes, until the blueberries start to open up and get saucy. Next, add in your parsley, honey, dijon mustard and a dash of salt and pepper. Simmer this until it reduces by about half. Once you're there, remove from heat and mix in the butter. Allow this to cool off while your salmon finishes.

Once the salmon is done, simply serve topped with the blueberry sauce. I couldn't believe that I'd never seen blueberries and dijon mixed before - they go together amazingly well. Definitely give it a try while blueberries are in season.

Bon chappétit!

Blueberry on FoodistaBlueberry

8 comments:

  1. that looks delicious. i bought some blueberries the other night... i will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That looks better than mine. Glad you liked it. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really is a lovely recipe. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to peruse your earlier entries as well. I really like your recipes and the welcoming tone of your blog. I'll be back often. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary, thanks for swinging by. I'm glad you enjoyed the blog. I've checked yours out and there's definitely some recipes I'm going to be trying. I'll be sure to give you credit when they pop up! I've also added you to my blogroll - welcome to the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So curious to try this.If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sound like a plan Alisa, I'll add it right now. Thanks for checking out the site!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Chipplec! I found this blog in Foodista and followed it here. This is a lovely blog and awesome Salmon with Blueberry Dijon Sauce recipe. This is a very interesting dish, I'll definitely try this over the weekend. By the way you can place more Foodista widget in your past and future blogs so that other Foodista readers can follow and see your blog too. Just search for a related recipe or food in Foodista and use its widget. I hope to read more from you. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Christine - thanks for the comment! Thanks for the advice as well, I'll definitely look into it this weekend. Let me know if you get into any fun Labor grilling :)

    ReplyDelete