07 June 2010

dijon salmon w/ tarragon

Tonight was one of those nights where I really had no idea what I wanted to eat. I was definitely hungry, but nothing was really jumping out at me. As I often find helpful in these situations, I started rummaging through the fridge, and came across dijon mustard. I love dijon mustard, and remembered that I'd saved a recipe for dijon-coated salmon, so I decided that was as good an option as any. Boy am I glad I did. This turned out to be one of the simplest meals I've made yet (which says a lot coming from me) and REALLY packed a flavorful punch. Here's what you'll need:
  • Salmon filets (w/skin)
  • Dijon mustard
  • Sliced red onion
  • Minced garlic
  • Fresh tarragon, finely chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat your oven* to 400 degrees. Place the salmon skin down on a piece of tin foil (on top of a cookie sheet or shallow baking dish).  Give the top layer a thin coating of dijon mustard evenly all over. Sprinkle the garlic, onion and tarragon over top. Place another piece of tin foil over top to cover loosely. 

I baked the salmon for 15 minutes, then uncovered for another 5 minutes. Mind you, I had a pretty sizable piece, so yours may take a few minutes less, depending. That's literally it. I removed and ate immediately and I couldn't believe how great the flavors combined. Definitely a great dish for summer.

Bon chappétit!

*It came up in conversation earlier today, and I now feel like I should note it here: I do all of my baking in a toaster oven. Yes, a toaster oven. With the exception of meals cooked outside my apartment, I never actually use a real oven. I've made everything from quickly baked fish (as above) to pot roasts and lasagnas that go for hours. In my experience, if you are using a conventional oven (as I assume most of you are), you probably just need to cook you items a few minutes longer. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a shout.

1 comment:

  1. This was absolutely delicious last night, Chris - best salmon ever! Thank you for preparing it for me. ~Terry

    ReplyDelete