29 June 2010

chicken pizza primavera

I know, I know...two primavera-titled meals in one week. It's craziness. It's also delicious, so why not?! Last night was another recipe madre keeps in her simply delicious arsenal - a quick and easy pizza that uses a lot of fresh ingredients along with one or two shortcuts. Here's what you'll need:

  • Whole wheat ready-made pizza crusts
  • Ranch dressing
  • Chicken strips
  • Chopped red pepper
  • Onion slices
  • Baby spinach leaves
  • Mozzarella cheese

There's really no measurements up there, because it's all a handful of this, a shake of that. It also depends on the size of the pizza crusts you get. I made two 7" pizzas last night, so I'll advise on that quantity. Adjust yours accordingly.

One of mom's cheats that I chose to forego was the chicken strips. She sometimes uses the pre-cooked frozen strips. Last night however, I chose to go ahead and sauté a small chicken breast. If you go this route, breaded is nice. Simply whisk one egg, coat your chicken in it, then cover all over with Italian-style breadcrumbs and sauté in one tablespoon oil for a few minutes on each side, until it's no longer pink in the center. Then cut into small pieces and carry on.

Begin by layering the dressing on first. I only used about a tablespoon of Ranch per pizza - just enough the coat the crust. You don't need much, as this has quite a bit of flavor (but really makes the dish). Bake according to crust instructions. Next, layer the chicken, pepper (I used red and green), onion (I used red, but doesn't matter), a handful of spinach and another handful of cheese - in that order.

Cook the pizza per the package directions. Mine took about 10 minutes on 450 degrees. I left them under the broiler for just a minute or two more to get them nice and crispy. If you have the luxury of a grill and/or a pizza stone, you could definitely utilize those as well.

Bon chappétit!

1 comment:

  1. I saw your blog from the foodie blog roll and your recipes and photos are wonderful!The chicken strips on the pizza sounds heavenly. I wish I had a slice of this right now.

    ReplyDelete