17 June 2010

phyllo-wrapped halibut w/ lemon scallion sauce

I've been seeing recipes like this for awhile now. Phyllo-wrapped this, phyllo-wrapped that. I have fond memories of spanakopita and it's phyllo-wrapped deliciousness from back in my days of waiting banquet tables. So I figured a meal centered around something phyllo-wrapped was worth a shot. It surely paid off - this was delicious. I think halibut is quickly becoming my favorite fish (sorry salmon). Here's what you'll need:

  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 4 sheets phyllo dough
  • 2 (6 ounce) halibut fillets
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice (or about 1 lemon, squeezed)
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 2 green onions*, finely chopped

Begin by preheating your oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter 1 sheet of phyllo dough. Lay another sheet directly on top of the first sheet, and lightly butter it. Repeat with remaining 2 sheets of phyllo. Cut sheets in half. They should be about a 1" wider than your halibut fillets.

A note on these "sheets of phyllo dough": they're totally thin. Like, beyond paper thin. And apparently they have to thaw out before you use them (they come frozen). Just make sure you account for this ahead of time.

Season the halibut fillets with salt and pepper. Place a fillet near the bottom edge of one of the halved sheets of phyllo. Sprinkle with dill. Fold in the sides of the phyllo, then roll the fillet (kind of like I see people rolling burritos - sides in first, then roll down the length).

Place your rolled fillet on a baking sheet, and lightly brush the top with butter. Repeat with remaining fillet.

Bake in the preheated oven until pastry is puffed and golden brown. I put mine in for about 15 minutes covered, and then another 3-5 minutes to get it nice and crispy brown on top.

Meanwhile, while those are baking, bring the lemon juice to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Boil until almost evaporated, then reduce heat to medium, and stir in cream. Simmer until the cream thickens somewhat, about 10 minutes. Stir in green onions, and season with salt and pepper, and serve this over the halibut.

I have to say, while this was baking, for some reason I really started to have doubts. I thought it was a waste of time and I was going to end up running down the street for a replacement dinner. Thankfully, I was totally wrong. The mix of flavors (the lemon with the cream and the dill) along with the play on texture (creamy sauce, crispy dough, flakey fish) was incredibly delightful. Definitely give it a try.

Bon chappétit!

*Did you know that green onions and scallions are the same thing? Well I didn't. Lesson learned for the day.

2 comments:

  1. where would phyllo be located or by something in a grocery store?

    and i do the same thing sometimes when i cook... mid cooking i think to myself, "why do i have a bad feeling about this..." and then i try to remember where the chinese menu is. but then i never have to find it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that I'm not alone! It took a few min to find the phyllo, it was near the frozen garlic bread, kinda things.

    ReplyDelete