25 May 2010

lemon chicken w/mushroom & asparagus sauce

Lately I've been craving some sort of lemon-tinged chicken recipe.  Towards the end of my years living with my parents, my mom was really into this of this nature.  She just loved chicken in lemon marinades, and now I find myself periodically craving dishes of that sort.  I tried a new one tonight that has a mushroom-based sauce, almost a gravy, that I served over rice.  It was pretty great, here's what you'll need:

  • Skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 lemon
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed to 2" length
  • Salt & pepper

Begin by heating the garlic and oil in a heavy skillet. Once the garlic begins to open, add the chicken. Season with salt and pepper, and squeeze the lemon juice over top. Cover and sauté, flipping once or twice until cooked through and brown on the outside.

While that's going, in another skillet, melt the butter. Add in the mushrooms and sauté until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add in the flour and chicken broth.  Allow this to reduce uncover until it begins to thicken.  About 5 minutes before your chicken is done, add in the asparagus. Stir frequently.

When everything's done, slice the chicken. I placed this over rice and added the sauce over top.  This took under 30 minutes total, and really had some nice flavors to it. Of course, the lemon is what made it. Thanks mom!

Bon chappétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment