05 May 2010

chilean sea bass w/ honeyed apples

My local market had fresh Chilean sea bass out this evening, something I've never tried to make on my own. I decided to pick it up and give it a whirl. I found a recipe online that was a quick and easy fry, topping the fish with honeyed apples. Not only did it sound oddly fantastic (fish and apples - who knew?!), but I already had all of the ingredients. Here's what you'll need:

  • Chilean sea bass filet (1/2 lb. each)
  • Apples, cut into thin wedges (2 if you're making more than 2 filets)
  • 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, divided
  • A dollop of olive oil
  • Another dollop of honey
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 cup dried bread crumbs (I used Italian style, as always)
  • 1 egg, beaten (again, 2 if you're making more than 2 filets)

Begin by melting one tablespoon of butter in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Fry the apples until tender, then reduce your heat to low. Drizzle the honey over the apples (I gave it a few good squeezes) and keep warm.

While that's happening, dredge the filet(s) through the flour (mixed with a dash of salt and pepper). Then dip in egg, and cover in breadcrumbs. Melt the other tablespoon of butter along with a dollop of oil in another non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Combining the oil and butter together will allow you to cook at a higher heat with butter (butter alone would likely burn). Place the breaded filet(s) in the skillet, cooking each side for about 3-4 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork and the breading is a nice, golden brown.

Transfer the fish to a dish and top with the honeyed apples. It's a very unexpected combination of flavors that REALLY pays off. Definitely a quick and easy way to impress. I highly recommend it.

Bon chappétit!

1 comment:

  1. now you're just getting straight up fancy on me. sounds odd but it looks great.

    ReplyDelete