21 May 2010

italian meatballs w/simple tomato sauce

Last night I decided to betray my mom (sorry!) and try a new meatball recipe. I'm used to the basic, old school kind that's really just ground beef, breadcrumb and egg. Well, let me tell y'all, this new version really sent me for a loop. They were so succulent and tasty, I don't think I'll ever turn back. And I really don't feel that sorry Mom - once you try these you'll see what I mean :) Here's what you'll need:

For the meatballs

  • 1 lb meat (I used the a ground beef/pork/veal combo in my local market)
  • 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon oregano
  • 1/4 cup of cheese (I used a pecorino romano I had, but you could use parmesan as well)
  • Salt and pepper

For the sauce

  • 1 large can peeled tomatoes
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 8-10 basil leaves, chopped
  • 1/4 cup olive 
  • Salt and pepper
Begin by getting the sauce going. In a medium pot, sauté the garlic and onion in oil. Once they begin to open up and brown, pour the liquid from the tomatoes into the pot, and the tomatoes from the can into a bowl. Mash them up nicely, and then add to the pot, along with the basil, salt and pepper to taste.  Let this simmer on low heat in the background while preparing the meatballs.

For the meatballs, basically just combine everything in a large bowl.  Roll into desired size (mine pictured are about the size of golfballs).  I then baked mine on a cookie sheet for about 10 minutes on 450 degrees.  You can also brown them in a skillet with a little oil if you'd prefer.  They also get a little crispier this way, which can be nice. However, I was feeling lazy and didn't want to have another pan to clean (I lined the cookie sheet with tin foil to avoid cleaning - genius!)

After they've been cooked by whichever method, add them to the sauce and let them simmer and blend while you cook your pasta. Once the pasta is done, toss it all together and you're done.  This made 16 meatballs, which could easily feed 4 people.  You may want to double the sauce if you're serving that many and want it really saucy. I kept it on the lighter side - although I ate half of this all by myself in one sitting...

Bon chappétit!

1 comment:

  1. it's been a long time since i've made meatballs. looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete