30 July 2010

arugula & guacamole burgers

In keeping with my desire to spend as little time as possible in the kitchen lately, for fear of heat stroke, I went with a good ol' burger last night. Albeit, with a smidge of a twist. Dan and I first made these last summer, and they've become a regular in my culinary arsenal. Here's what you'll need:

  • 2 burgers (I bought pre-made sirloin burger patties - lazy, I know)
  • 2 buns (crazy)
  • 1 large beefsteak tomato
  • 2 slices Monterey pepper jack cheese
  • A handful of arugula
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 1 tablespoon or so of salsa (medium)

Since I don't have a grill, as you may or may not have heard, I simply cook the burgers in a nonstick skillet on the stove top. While that's going on, slice up the tomato (you really only need a couple slices for the burgers - I just eat the rest of it while I'm cooking). You'll also want to slice up your avocado and mash it in a small bowl. Mix the salsa with the avocado to your tasting (I do about one heaping tablespoonful per avocado). The rest is just assembly.

After the burgers are done and I've let the cheese melt for a minute, I simply stack on arugula, tomato and guacamole on top. It's super simple and a really delicious twist on the traditional burger.

Bon chappétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment