27 July 2010

shrimp, mango & avocado salad

If you follow the blog, you've probably noticed I try to keep things from getting stuck in a rut. In my previous, pre-blog life, dinners pretty much alternated between pastas and meat and potato dishes. But as they say, variety is the spice of life (and the interest of the food blog), so in the spirit of that I'm constantly trying to find things I haven't made before. Last night's dish was a bit further than I typically go - it's the first Asian salad I've had. First time I've used sweet chili sauce. First time I've included mango in a homemade dish. Lots of firsts which, thankfully, paid off. This salad took under 5 minutes to put together and was a welcome change of pace. Really great for summer as well. Here's what you'll need:

  • 1/2 cup Asian sweet chili sauce
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 12 large shrimp
  • 1 large head of Boston lettuce, washed and leaves separated
  • 1 large mango, peeled, pitted, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices
  • 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices
  • Salt and pepper to taste

A note before we begin. You have a number of options with the shrimp. You can buy it already cooked/steamed and jump right into the assembly. Or if you get it uncooked, simply sauté in butter and garlic for just a few minutes. I took the lazier route (it's hot in my kitchen!)

Now, get ready for a complex set of instructions. Whisk first 3 ingredients in small bowl; season with salt and pepper. Add in the shrimp and toss to coat. Divide lettuce among plates. Alternate mango, avocado, and shrimp atop lettuce on each plate. Drizzle vinaigrette over.

I love when my intro is longer than the actual recipe. Seriously though, try not to have an aneurism over the complex recipe you've just read. Just sit back and enjoy the deliciousness.

Bon chappétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment