26 July 2010

steak w/ tomato-caper relish

Sometimes I post old favorites that I know are delicious. Sometimes I find recipes that I haven't tried before, but know I'll love. And sometimes I find wild cards. The ones that don't work out tend to go down in burning flames, never to be mentioned on here. But every once in awhile, something strange catches my eye, I try it and it turns out to be amazing. Tonight was one of those times. I love a good steak, but I have to say this relish that goes on top was so, so good that I ate half of it just while it was marinading. Seriously. Here's what you'll need:

  • 2 teaspoons salt, divided
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tomato, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
  • 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped, pimiento-stuffed olives
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 tablespoon drained capers
  • 1 fresh lime, juiced
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 rib-eye steaks (each about 1 pound)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Place 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt and garlic on a cutting board. Using the flat side of knife blade, smash garlic and salt together until paste forms (this might sound weird, but it works). Transfer the garlic paste to a medium bowl. Add the tomatoes, olives, cilantro, 2 tablespoons olive oil, capers, lime juice and dried oregano and toss to blend well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature while you prep and cook the steaks. This can be done up to an hour in advance.

Sprinkle steaks on both sides with cumin, pepper and salt. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a heavy, large, non-stick skillet over high heat until very hot, about 2 minutes. Or if you're lucky enough to have a grill, but all means, grill away. Either way, add the steaks to the heated source of your choice. Sear/grill the steaks until browned and cooked to medium-rare, about 6 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer the steaks to cutting board and let rest 5 minutes or so.

Thinly slice steaks crosswise. Overlap slices on plates and place the relish on top. Feel free to be generous with the relish portion sizes - as I said about, it's freaking delicious.

Bon chappétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment