08 April 2013

lemon oregano roasted chicken

After all of the fish and healthy vegetables I've been consuming lately, I was in the mood for something hearty, something with potatoes. Something completely not that healthy! I'd never made roast chicken before, nor have I ever made it with the skin on. I can safely say, it will not be my last. This was delicious. Here's what you'll need:

  • 2 garlic cloves 
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided 
  • 1 lemon, halved
  • 2 chicken breasts with skin
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided 
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth 
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano 


Preheat the oven to 450°F. Mince and mash the garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt, then whisk together with 1 tablespoon oil, juice of one half of the lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pat the chicken dry and coat with lemon-garlic mixture.

Heat 1 tablespoon butter and remaining tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until foam subsides. Brown the chicken skin side down, until golden and crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken, skin side up, to a pan. Pour off fat (and any small burnt pieces) from skillet. Add the broth and juice of the other lemon half and boil until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the remaining tablespoon of butter and oregano, then pour over chicken. Roast chicken in the oven until cooked through, about 20-25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

I made this with some red skin potatoes. I popped them in the oven while I browned the chicken, then added them to the pan with the chicken and let them finish cooking in the lemon oregano broth. They came out pretty amazing as well.

Bon chappétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment