11 March 2013

beer-marinated pork tenderloin w/ red cabbage


And I don't even like beer! Apparently it makes a good marinade though. I had my doubts about this one. I won't lie, it didn't have the greatest smell when I first put together the marinade. The flavors came together in the end though, especially the cabbage. I've never made cabbage before, but after tonight, I think it'll definitely become a regular side dish. Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 pork tenderloins (1 - 1.5 lbs total) 
  • 1/4 cup lager (I have no idea if I even bought the right thing here)
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce 
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar 
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, divided 
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil 
  • 2 tablespoons butter 
  • 1/2 medium red cabbage, cored, cut into 1/2" strips 
  • 1 apple, peeled, cored, chopped (I used a Fiji)
  • Salt, freshly ground pepper 

Place the pork in a large resealable plastic bag. Whisk the lager, soy sauce, brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon vinegar in a small bowl and pour into the bag with pork and seal. Chill, turning occasionally, for at least 4 and up to 24 hours.

Preheat oven your to 400°F. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the pork from marinade, allowing any excess to drip off (reserve marinade). Cook the pork, turning until browned on all sides, 8-10 minutes.

Transfer the pork to the oven and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of pork registers 140°F, 10-15 minutes. I just tossed it on a cookie sheet, but if you have an oven-safe skillet, you can probably just toss that in there. When done, transfer the pork to a plate and let rest for at least 10 minutes.

Pour the reserved marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until slightly thickened, 5-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat (I used the same one that I'd browned the pork in.) Add the cabbage, apple, and 1 cup of water and season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the cabbage is softened, 15-20 minutes. Add remaining 1 teaspoon vinegar and toss to combine.

Slice pork and serve with cabbage mixture and sauce.

Bon chappétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment