05 October 2011

southwestern chicken casserole

While most people aren't so thrilled with the end of Summer, I really don't mind it. I love the chilly weather, the layers and the coats, the return of hot coffee, and the change in seasonal cuisine. I've said it before and I'll say it again - casseroles are one of my all-time favorites. You really can't screw them up, and they're almost always delicious. I tend to make the same ones over and over (ahem, tuna noodle), but I do like to brand out. For my first new casserole of the season, I made a Southwestern version. Is there anything Southwestern about it? I have no idea. Readers from New Mexico - feel free to weigh in! It has salsa, and I think to those of us out on the East coast, anything with salsa in it is "Southwestern." Whatever. It's good, try it out. Here's what you'll need:

  • 2 servings rice, cooked
  • 1 large chicken breast
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • Dash of black pepper and salt
  • 1 package cheddar/monterey jack shredded cheese
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup (or chicken, your choice)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 jar medium, chunky salsa



Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil and garlic until garlic begins to sizzle. Add in chicken and sprinkle with pepper and salt. Cook until almost totally done (doesn't have to be all the way there - you'll bake it for awhile too) and shred into bite-size pieces

While the chicken is sautéing, combine the soup, salsa and chopped onion in a bowl and mix together. When the chicken and rice are ready, build your casserole. Start with a layer of rice, then chicken, salsa mix and cheese. Repeat once more, finishing with the cheese.

Cover and bake for 40 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 20 minutes or so, or until the cheese on top begins to brown.

This is a total case of deceiving looks. The served casserole was a total visual mess - no points for presentation there (thus the "before" photo above). Whatever, doesn't matter. You'll eat it so quickly that you'll totally forget what it ever looked like. It's awesome. I'm having leftovers for lunch tomorrow; will report back on how they reheat.

Bon chappétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment