30 June 2011

leftover omelets

To some of you, the idea post may seem beyond obvious. I'm not a huge breakfast person. Usually I grab something simple - a croissant and coffee, a bowl of cereal, etc. However, I've been making a conscious effort to use leftover ingredients in the same week in order to stop letting things go to waste. Most often, the things I have laying around are herbs (basil, arugula), cheese and vegetables (onions, tomatoes, etc). Finally, the idea occurred to me to try tossing some of these ingredients into omelets.

Now, I also have to admit that up until a few weeks ago, I'd never made an omelet before. Ever. Turns out, they're super easy (I figured as much) and you seriously can't go wrong. I've been tossing in whatever I have laying around and it turns out amazing every time. Most recently, I took the leftover bacon, onion and green pepper from the traditional meatloaf recipe and tossed them with some cheddar (pictured) - amazing! The week before that, I used the basil and fontina from the chicken w/ fontina & proscuitto recipe and threw in some arugula for good measure - even more amazing! So for those of you out there who, like myself not too long ago, haven't tried your hand at the wonderful world of omelets, here's the basics:

  • 2 eggs
  • Pinch of salt


Preheat a heavy, non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add a 1/2 tablespoon or so of butter to the pan. Crack a couple eggs in a bowl. Spread it around and wait a few minutes until the foam subsides. Add a pinch of salt to the eggs, beat lightly with a fork and add to the pan. If the edges of the omelet don't begin to set immediately, turn up the heat a notch. As the outside sets, nudge them towards the center and tilt the pan to allow the liquid egg to move around and set itself. When the eggs are mostly set, add your ingredients of choice and let it sit for just a minute. Then fold it over in half and serve.

Try it and you'll see. If you come across any amazing combinations, definitely leave it in the comments below.

Bon chappétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment