- 1/4 cup chopped mixed olive tapenade
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for brushing
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 6-ounce ahi tuna steaks (each about 3/4 to 1 inch thick)
- 2 handfulls baby arugula
- Salt and pepper (maybe - see below)
So I began by purchasing a pre-made olive tapenade. My local market had several varieties: black, green, kalamata, mixed, etc. I went with the mixed, which also had roasted red peppers, sundried tomatoes, garlic and salt mixed in. I didn't object to any of those things, so I rolled with it.
Mix the tapenade together with the onion, basil, oil and vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste (and if necessary - I didn't add salt since there was already some in the tapenade). Set aside.
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Rub oil, salt and pepper on each side of your tuna steak and toss on the skillet. I like my tuna steaks medium-rare, so I only cooked about 2-3 minutes per side. Let the steak cool for just a minute before slicing.
Add the tuna slices over a bed of arugula and top with the olive tapenade. Voila - seriously delicious meal in under 10 minutes.