16 August 2010

steak w/ farro, tomato & zucchini salad

Some days I just want a steak. It's just a craving I get that I can't resist. I tried a new recipe tonight that let me have steak over a farro salad. I figured maybe that somehow made up for the slab of juicy meat I was about to have? Probably not, but it was still tasty. Here's what you'll need:

  • 1 (8 ounce) filet mignon
  • 8 ounces farro
  • 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • A bunch of basil, chopped
  • 1 cup Parmesan
  • Salt and pepper

Prepare farro by cooking in salted boiling water for 12 minutes and drain.

While the farro is boiling, season the filet with salt and pepper. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat with just a splash of oil. Once hot, cook the meat about 2-3 minutes per side (this is for a medium steak, for medium-well or well, let it go a few minutes longer on lower heat). Remove from the skillet the meat rest while the farro finishes.

When the farro is ready, mix it with the remaining ingredients in a serving bowl. Slice the steak right when you are ready to serve. Serve with the sliced filet on top. Perfection.

Bon chappétit!

PS. Ditch the steak and you have a pretty sweet vegetarian dish. Who said my meals weren't versatile?

PPS. I made this for myself - it could easily feed a family of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment