06 April 2013

shrimp & broccoli rabe

I came across this recipe on nytimes.com. It was a little outside of my comfort zone - being that I've never liked broccoli rabe in the past - but decided to try it anyways. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment? Well not this time. It was actually pretty great, and super quick and easy. And guess what? I liked the rabe! Is there supposed to be an accent on that: rabé? Whatever, let's get to it.

  • Broccoli rabe, tough bottom stems removed. Just get a whole bunch. I thought I had WAY TOO MUCH, but that stuff really wilts down. Just load it on there.
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 
  • 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes (I didn't have this, unless it's the same as red pepper flakes mixed with cayenne pepper, which is what I had and used)
  • 3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled 
  • 1 large orange (1 teaspoon orange zest, plus the wedges for serving)


Heat your oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl (and I do mean large), toss the broccoli with 2 tablespoons olive oil, the sesame oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper flakes. In a separate bowl, combine the shrimp, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the orange zest, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper flakes.

Spread the broccoli and shrimp in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast, tossing once or twice halfway through, until shrimp are just opaque and broccoli is tender and golden around the edges, about 10 minutes. Serve with the orange wedges.

Bon chappétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment